Friday, August 18, 2006

This Jamestown place looks familiar...

Who knew that I'd be able to get Internet access every night of this trip? But here we are, in Jamestown, North Dakota, and we're only a few hours away from Regina. We're going to get in there around noon on Saturday.

Driving here today, something about this place seemed familiar, but I couldn't remember why. Then it hit me -- Heather and I spent a night at the Holiday Inn here way back in the eighties on our honeymoon! Talk about things coming around again...We must be true prairie people. When we went on our honeymoon, we drove to the prairies, but in a different country.

Other than that, I can't say too much about Jamestown. I haven't looked around. We pulled in late and we'll be gone early. But it's great to be back on the prairies.

I realized as we drove up from Minnesota and into North Dakota that I always feel like I'm coming home when I hit the flatlands. Those great big skies (we could see thunderstorms all around us) and the clouds everywhere -- but most of all -- NO SMOG! What a treat!

I've noticed that when I'm here on the prairies, I never compare them to anywhere else. They just are. When I'm in Ontario, I compare it to the prairies. Same in the mountains, or on the coast. I suspect it will always be that way. There's no place like home, is there?

I heard from Kelly today. She's settling in nicely. She's got her room mostly set up, she's got a new cell phone and a bank account. And best of all, she's got Skype working on her computer. She's very excited about the fact she can call anyone, anywhere, anytime -- for free! Since Skypeout is free until the end of the year, it's a great way for us all to keep in touch. And the new version for the Mac that she just downloaded is a big improvement over the previous one.

So, Kelly seems to be settling in fine. And after a few relaxing days at the cottage, and another couple of long days in the car, I'll be settling in to my new life in Victoria -- I can hardly wait.

No comments: