Friday, December 30, 2005

Where to get new audio books

One of the uses I'm enjoying with my IPod is having a few Audiobooks with me at all times. I've got a number that I've bought from various sources and with all the storage available on my IPod model, it's easy to keep them handy for listening when I've got some time.

I've been waiting for someone to come up with a way to turn some of the public domain books that are out there on the Web into audio books. I figured it was just a matter of time and with sites like Project Gutenberg out there, there's plenty of material.

Well, someone has taken up that challenge. Check out LibriVox to see the result. They're serving up public domain books that you can listen to on their site or download to portable player and enjoy wherever you are.

This is a very interesting site that is built on the open source model, where like-minded people come together to create something useful. It looks like a great idea and one that you can participate in if you're so inclined. They're looking for volunteers to read chapters and contribute, so if you've always thought that those years of reading to your kids were wasted on them, try those pipes on a wider audience. Maybe you'll be able to quit your day job!

No comments: