Thursday, December 08, 2005

Podcast is the word of the year

As an English major and an all-round word kind of guy, I feel good about having my opinions validated by a prestigious organization that is widely respected as an arbiter of the English language.

This week, the editors of the New Oxford American Dictionary chose podcast as the Word of the Year for 2005.

According to a recent story in the Globe and Mail The New Oxford American Dictionary defines podcast as:

“a digital recording of a radio broadcast or similar program, made
available on the Internet for downloading to a personal audio player.”


I couldn't have said it better myself. And it's nice to know that all my harping about how cool a use of new technology podcasting is getting some larger agreement in those not directly involved in this business.

Now I've got to start thinking about what the word for 2006 should be...

No comments: