Friday, November 11, 2005

What a way to spend an afternoon

I've been travelling a lot lately. Unfortunately, I keep going back and forth, back and forth...down the same stretch of road, or railway. I'm not really going anywhere. So it's not exactly the kind of travel that enriches and enlightens!

I had thought I might be able to give you regular updates on the life of a rail commuter, but it hasn't happened yet. But I am gathering some good material. When you step back from the day-to-day and just watch what's going on around you, it can get pretty interesting...kind of like when you stop watching the tennis game and start watching the crowd watching the game...

But that's not for today. Today, I've been grooving all afternoon at my computer here in my home office. I've really missed this place. Right now, I've got Brother Love blasting away on I-Tunes and I'm catching up on all the blogs I haven't been reading lately.

If you don't know who Brother Love is (Listen to There She Goes) , or Matthew Ebel, (Listen to Drive Away) or Planet of Women, (Listen to Waking up the Neighbourhood) you're really missing something. Podsafe music is where the world is going, people, and Brother Love is just one of the poster children. As CC says, "It's all good."

I've become addicted to podcasts...I've got 20 shows that I'm subscribed to and I listen to them all faithfully. Some are updated daily, others every few days, weekly or even monthly. I listen to music, talk, jokes, nasty bits, business stuff -- it's all over the map, really. But they're all great. And there's thousands more out there. I'm not going to even try sharing links, or anything like that. You'll see what I mean once you jump in. Suffice to say that once you discover the joys of listening to podcasts, you'll never go back to regular music.

Oh all right. To get just a sense of what's out there, check out Adam Curry's Daily Source Code and PW Fenton's Digital Flotsam. They're two very different shows, but they both are at the top of their category.

There is a revolution going on in the way information moves around the world. Pick up an IPod, hook it up to your new Mac (or Windows, if you must) and your life will never be the same. New technology is allowing us to easily share words and music and now even video in ways that were unthinkable not that long ago.

I remember how exciting it was in the early days of personal computers...I entered this world in the early 1980s. I was a Compuserve member back then and I loved the opportunity to get and share information. Since then, it's become a big part of my life. Now, I'm trying to build a business helping others learn how to use this technology in their business.

I'm not sure where this road is going to take me, but I'm sure having fun travelling down it and then back again, and then again, and again. But if I've got a good book and my IPod with me, it's doable.

No comments: