Thursday, July 14, 2005

What if you went to a reunion and didn't know a soul?


OK, that's not really what happened to me. But last week, my son, Cory, (pictured here) and I went to watch the Toronto Argos host the Saskatchewan Roughriders at the Skydome (sorry, the Rogers Centre!).

We sat in a special section which had been purchased by the University of Regina and Saskachewan alumni associations. There were lots of crazy Rider fans around and we had a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the Riders lost in the last minute, which was a drag...

But what was strange is that we went to a BBQ dinner prior to the game with about 350 other people. And I didn't see a single person I knew! That kind of blew me away, although it's been a long time since I was a student at the U of R. Still, I figured I'd know somebody! After all, I still spend a month there every year.

Actually, that's not entirely true. I did recognize a couple of people who had been politicians when I worked in Sask, but I didn't get a chance to talk to them. And I knew who Roger Aldag was, even if I haven't actually met him. (If you don't know who he is, don't worry about it. You're not from Sask!)

Anyway, Cory and did have fun, and since I don't often talk about my son here, I thought I'd post a picture, just so you know I do have one. So here's Cory, at the game with a bunch of people we don't know, other than that they all cheer for the Riders, as all right-thinking people do, of course.

No comments: