Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Catching up with uploads

Judging by the paucity of posts in recent weeks, some of you may think that not much of significance has been happening...but it's not the case. However, I've been struggling with a recurring problem with my arm caused by using a mouse, a version of tennis elbow, according to the people that are helping me deal with it.

As a journalist years ago, I developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my wrists from the constant work at the keyboard, which threatened my ability to make my living. When I switched to corporate communications, I was using a keyboard less often and the problem remained manageable. But in recent months, I've been writing more and problems are resurfacing. So far, my wrists are OK, but I've been having a lot of pain in my elbow, forearm and shoulder, and it's getting worse, instead of better. So for the past couple of weeks, I've been spending a lot less time at the computer, trying to rest the offending muscles. It's creating a few problems for me, no question. As someone who is making a living as a writer, not being able to write for extended periods of time will be a problem. However, I'm confident that I'll be able to come up with something to work around this. At the moment, I'm getting a lot better at using my left hand to control my mouse, as well as using a brace to cushion my forearm. I'll keep you up-to-date as I work on various options.

In the meantime, I haven't been following current events with the same zeal, so my posts have been less frequent. But in recent days, I've been following the contortions that federal politicians are going through to try and define where they stand on health care. Specifically, on who should be able to deliver it, and whether anyone should be able to make money from it. It's an interesting debate, and it brings a lot of different positions to the table. I'm not really satisfied with any of the various party positions, and I want to begin exploring some of the back story on this issue. But today, I'm off to Toronto for a business meeting and lunch with an old friend, so my musing about the health of the nation will come in a later upload.

No comments: